The Crown Family Center for Jewish and Israel Studies seeks to make a full-time tenure track appointment at the rank of Associate or Assistant Professor in Israel Studies. Tenured appointees will occupy a Crown Chair in Israel Studies. The field of the search is Israeli Society and Culture. All appointees will be housed in an appropriate disciplinary department. Candidates from anthropology, film, history, literature, political science, religious studies and sociology are encouraged to apply; applicants from other fields who work on Israeli Society or Culture are also welcome to apply. Position starts September 1, 2015.
Please send a cover letter, three references, CV, and writing sample no longer than 25 pages via the online application system found below. Review begins November 14th.
AA/EOE Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
2014-2015 Application Instructions
Israel Studies Search
Please read all instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to application page.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved.
- All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be saved or “printed to” PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
- Three names and email addresses for external referees are required, though you may list up to five names. Within a few business days of our receiving your online application, your references will be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service’s address instead of your referee’s address in the appropriate space.
- Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- The size of the writing sample should be no longer than 25 pages.
- Only one sample needs to be submitted.
- When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the “Submit Application” button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by November 14, 2014, will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a few days after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
If you have any questions about submitting your application, please contact Nancy Gelman at jewish-studies[at]northwetern.edu, or 847-491-2612.